Thursday, March 26, 2009

Keeping it Real

I have a couple things on the brain today. They kind of go together but if this post takes a "U-turn" in the conversation then I apologize.

Lately, I have been seeing things about authenticity--you know when it pops up again and again, it must be a sign!! Travis' comment a few posts back was one of them and was so true. The study of Esther by Beth Moore talks about it a couple times so far--love that study! It's been a topic that I felt like was huge to me a few years ago--probably because I realized I was not doing well in this area. :) Beth Moore's blog (I have a link to the right) had a recent post written by her daughter, Amanda, on this very topic and it was very, very good. I recommend jumping over there and reading it (post name is something about taking the mask off). Anyone read "TrueFaced" or heard the author speak? Talk about life changing!! Anyway, I love this topic and I think it's a good pursuit because we aren't doing anyone a favor acting like we got this thing down. Whatever "this thing" may be for you.

I bring this up because, as I wrote earlier, I had some free time today. I had lunch with my sister--Chili's was so good!!--and I had a few hours to spare before picking up the kids. I decided to take the opportunity to do a personal retreat. It's an idea that my friend, Karen, and I were talking about doing together recently but we had too much going on. I then read about it in the book "Shopping for Time" and the thought to do it today came to me in my quiet time this morning.

So, as suggested in that book, I wrote out 7 priorities and then prayerfully evaluated myself on them and how I could make changes. By far, motherhood is the area I would like to see the most change. I thought about emailing a couple friends to get their opinion on the balance of kids/housework but I had a moment of embarrassment. The twins are 5 and I still can't figure this out?? Oh please. Because I am so superior that I should know how to do everything?? I realized that was pride and this idea of being real and open was brought up again.

I don't have any desire to post my emotions on a daily basis--who could keep up?? :) But if I never say anything, will people think I am over here living carefree in my own little world? That's one reason I LOVE Travis' "Not Me! Monday" posts--it's a humble post on the little daily happenings but it's a picture into her life beyond the extraordinary events that require a post. It's not true of everyone but a common struggle is thinking we are the "only one". Hmmm...maybe that's a spin off of "I AM". We think "I am __________ and there is no one else that can relate." but really God is "I AM and there is NO OTHER beside Him." Babylon thinking, as Beth Moore talks about in her study of Daniel. See, a u-turn was taken... Anyway, in case someone got confused today, I wanted to share that I am not perfect. *Not that you would think I was perfect--especially if you know me well. :)*

2 Corinthians 3:5,6 (AMP) "Not that we are fit of ourselves to form personal judgments or to claim or count anything as coming from us, but our power and ability and sufficiency are from God. It is He Who has qualified us as ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the code of the Law kills but the Holy Spirit makes alive."

1 comment:

  1. I have read TrueFaced and must agree: totally revolutionizing. I have the CD if you ever want to listen again. I play it from time to time to get a regular kick in the pants. :)

    ReplyDelete