Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Just sharing







I feel like I haven't posted in ages but it's been less than a week. I guess that tells you about how quickly this time has been going. So much going on!!
  • Hunter and Lily had their "Kindergarten Readiness Test". What's really sad is that I just had to check my last post to see if I already mentioned. This brain of mine needs help in the memory department. Maybe it would help if I could remember my vitamins. Anyway, the testing wasn't as scary as I thought because I didn't have to stay in the room. I sat in the office talking w/the other Mom who had a son getting tested at the same time. We actually knew of each other because we had gone to the same high school. I had a lot of fun talking about our similar concerns over testing and school and all that. No clue on whether the kids passed but how could they not, right? That's what my loved ones tell me, anyway.
  • Hunter and Lily had dental appointments today and I got comments from the receptionist and the dentist about the amount of talking they do. See, the kids are sooo big that I don't even go back with them anymore. We go to the best pediatric dentist and the twins get to be in the same room (2 chairs!) and I can see in if I stand up so I am all calm. Samuel and I played in the waiting room. He actually spent most the time pointing at the back and saying "Uh!" but we were in and out in 20 minutes. Seriously. No cavities and my Hunter has 2 loose teeth!! How weird to think I have kids old enough to have loose teeth. Lily told him that he would only lose them if he fell on my bed (since that's how he lost the front one!). Ha! Lily also told the dental hygenist that Samuel does not brush. No comment.
  • Hunter is obsessed with wearing 2 different shoes when we go out. This has been going on for about a week and I just go with it. Why would I care? Dr. Erik commented on this today but, seriously, have you tried to argue with Hunter? I confess that I LIED to my child today to get him to wear the shirt I picked out. He asked if a different shirt was clean and I said no. I would have had to dig jeans out of the folded basket of laundry to go w/the shirt and blah, blah, blah and didn't want to get into an argument. I confessed already.
  • Brian and I spend Tuesday nights watching Biggest Loser together. In memory (so this may not be accurate), it is "our" show--the only one we watch together. However, we like to watch while eating, drinking and laughing at the pain of others. What does this mean? :) Tonight we had healthy snacks, though. Popcorn (Light Butter from Fareway--the only kind I eat!) and Diet Dr. Pepper w/cherry (the only diet pop that is good w/o adding anything to it!). I somehow feel that if Barb (my mother-in-law) reads this, she will approve of this weekly ritual. :)
  • Samuel gets his hearing checked tomorrow so I can get these people off my back about his ears. I don't think there's anything wrong w/his ears so I have refused testing thus far. So watch for my post tomorrow when I will eat humble pie. Ha! I hope the test goes well and we have a good report--not just so I am right, either! Samuel has gone from 1 word in Feb. to 20 words this month. Wow. His latest words: Apple, Animal, Spies (his brother influenced this one!), Bubble, Moo! And I admit that I get him to say the word by telling him to NOT say the word. Such is his attitude right now. That comes back to bite me when I tell him NOT to kick his brother, though.
  • I spent a good chunk of my day going through this repetition: Samuel opens the freezer. I tell Samuel 'no' sternly. Samuel spits at me. I walk towards him. He says "uh-oh" and runs. No lie, we did this same thing half a dozen times at least. That makes me crazy, I know. Either my memory wasn't working or I was focused on getting something done. :)
  • To end my long post, I have to say that we had the most amazing sermon on Sunday. I say amazing like it's a good thing and it was but it was also a hard thing. It was the most personally convicting/challenging sermon I have ever sat through. Painful stuff. In fact, I was grumpy for 2 days as I wrestled with it. It was called "True Spirituality". It's not religion, it's relationship. An easy statement for many of us but then he got into things that are "tools" but we make them "rules". And if something works for us then we think it should work for everyone. I really liked when he talked about how introverts struggle with thinking they don't witness enough and extroverts struggle w/thinking they don't spend 3 days alone with God so something's wrong with them. His last bullet point was that it's not about leadership, it's about obedience. And this whole sermon was coming from John 15 when Jesus talks about being the vine and the pruning process. Ever since, I run into the concept of pruning everywhere I look. How exciting for me, huh? :) No, it is because I know whatever He has, it's good. Oh, which reminds me...True spirituality and how we have IDEAS that yes, God is good. God is sovereign. Then we come up against a situation where we have to wrestle it out. I love that. I loved this sermon. I need to listen to it again.

3 comments:

  1. That has been one crazy week sister!! I loved hearing about your sermon too. Sounds like I need to listen to that one too. How could I do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You have had a lot going on. Thanks for sharing about the sermon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SOOO going to miss having you guys next door. Who else could be so incredibly adorable? (you too...!)

    ReplyDelete