Wednesday, January 13, 2010

2 Weeks


I told Brian that I don't feel like "Wow--Nathan is 2 weeks old already!".  I feel more like, "Wow--only 2 weeks have passed?!".  Ha!  It's been challenging and exhausting.  Not so much the baby as everything else on top of having a baby.  Here are my thoughts on these 2 weeks:
*We've suffered through pink eye and the stomach flu in these short 2 weeks--that doesn't help the stress!  
*I am very, very grateful that I am married to someone who willingly gets right up and helps me--and even tries to let me sleep more. 
 *I think this is the 1st time that I have had a baby and then felt like I was thrown right back into life without a break or extra time to heal up or anything like that.  It's felt a little much at times, for sure!  Trying to keep up with housework, homework, paying attention to other kids, getting Nathan to sleep without being held, catching up with friends (I actually have emails in my inbox that I haven't answered--that never happens with me!)..whew!  Lots to do on a daily basis!
*I have not had to cook, thankfully--we are set for at least this whole month, if not longer.  And I've had help with school drop off/pick up.   
*Nathan is up 2x a night for the most part.  If he goes right back down after eating, it's a wonderful, joyous thing.  There have been nights where he's stayed awake and wanting to be held for most the nighttime and those are rough moments--worse in the morning!  He's only 2 weeks old so I am not expecting much.
*The kids have somewhat "gotten over" the newness and leave him alone quite a bit more than they had.  Samuel still insists on calling him "baby" instead of Nathan.  Diaper changing time is still a big hit--and I can see why.  Just today, Nathan started pooping right when I removed the diaper and in my attempt to clean that up, he peed all over the bassinet.  And this isn't a rare event for this child--I don't know what our problem is--this isn't our first baby or first boy!?  But it's no wonder changing time draws a crowd.\
*The lack of sleep has manifested itself in forgetfulness.  Brian couldn't remember a coworker's name yesterday and today I could not remember the password for our computer.  I had to call Brian at work and ask for help.  It's sad.
*I do realize that this little baby is growing already and it's going to go fast.  This stage is just a short season of my life and I will barely be able to remember it when it's all done, I am sure!  :)  I try to hold him as much as I can and appreciate his little baby self and all his baby ways--including the day/night mix up.  He is a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment