Thursday, August 25, 2011

Almost 1 week done!

For some reason, I can't wait until tomorrow to write this post.  I might as well do it while I am thinking of it.  :)  So, almost 1 week down of homeschooling!!  I've learned some things:

Field trips are fun!  Brian had the day off so I could take Samuel for a speech evaluation in the morning.  We decided to take advantage of his presence and go fishing!!  It was a lot of fun!

It's interesting and frustrating to watch the interaction of siblings every day.  Some days they are screaming, crying and hitting over every little thing and some days are like this picture.  Twins sharing a chair, playing Word Girl and intertwining their feet.

Samuel is exhausted.  Pay no attention to his 4T plaid shorts and his 24month long sleeve shirt (which he took from Nathan's drawer).  I did let him wear this all day (=another bonus of homeschool!).  He is loving his preschool activities and is napping on the couch almost every afternoon.

Nathan is a mess!  Oh my goodness, this child can not be trusted.  I am weary because of him.  He's constantly trying to pull on the cat's tail, carry the cat around, hit the cat, eat anything he finds (markers!), throw toys in the toilet, empty dresser drawers, pinch/bite/hit siblings.  Sigh.  I get to the end of the day and feel I've really accomplished something just to have made it through a day with him.  He is my sweet baby and I love him but he will be reminded of this season!  And have I mentioned he's not even 2 yet?????

Otherwise, I've learned that mornings are great--I have time to just breathe before we start at 8:30 (which means we get up early!).  We finish by 10am, at the latest, and that gives us time to go to the library or to my parents' house or just do housework/play outside/etc.  Afternoon school ends up going fast, too.  We usually school from 1-2:30 but it can go longer or shorter.  I've already learned that I need to work on math with Hunter and Lily separately and that our math curriculum isn't fitting me well (nor Hunter).  I've remembered that a bonus of homeschool is going at our own pace and not keeping up with any plan or person or standard.   I've learned that I feel scattered with everyone's papers going everywhere, crayons/markers/etc. being put back crazily and books all around the floor.  I've also learned that Samuel would rather join in the twins' school time rather than do something on his own so I may need to add more activity to his preschool time to get some of the things in that I wanted to do in the afternoon.  Whew!  And that's 1 week!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds so familiar! It will get better with Nathan after he gets used to things, at least it did at my house.

    ReplyDelete