Friday, September 2, 2011

Week 2

Another week of homeschooling over!  It's going really, really well.  I am so thankful to have all the kids home and to watch them grow in this area.  I can't lie--I also love the relaxed schedule that we still have (although, things will pick up after Labor Day).  Here are some highlights:

Preschool
Samuel sorting some fruit into a pie!  This is a fun game I picked up from somewhere (online?!) and he loved it!!  He had an audience, as you can see!
This was the day he did a float/sink test with some objects.  Hunter and Lily were excited because they love science experiments!  Nathan was just happy to see a bowl of water--it didn't last long!
This is Samuel using fingerpaints with a Q-tip because he didn't want to touch it.  Ha!  Also, please notice that he's wearing the same pajama shorts for each picture even though they were taken on different days.  That's Samuel! We also did B is for Batman activities (courtesy of this blog)

2nd Grade

This picture is reason enough to homeschool.  I give Hunter and Lily reading assignments but I usually sit with Hunter and share his reading with him.  Last school year and even over the summer, he was extremely resistant to reading {to put it mildly}.  The past 2 weeks, he has joined me in reading with a great attitude.  One day, he even set up Tapioca (an old bear of mine that I had given Hunter awhile ago) to read his/her own book while we read.  I was so encouraged to see that!!  He's doing a great job--especially compared to the struggle of a regular school setting.

Art day is a favorite day!  Here they are making {upside down} shields.  I didn't notice the upside down thing until it was too late.  :)
Doing some Math with a mermaid and Trio building on the desk, as well.  A bonus of homeschooling--toys can learn, too!  :)
Another art project--making a field of grain like we read about in the book of Ruth.  They sat working on this so long that I wrote most of this blog post while they worked on it.  Ha!  No rushing!

Miscellaneous pictures:

Nathan had a better week.  I've set out some puzzles for him and that's usually a mess but it keeps him a bit busy.  He did try to put the cat in a drawer this week and bit off most the pencils' erasers.  That's a good week!  :)
Samuel now prefers to play instead of having extra work in the afternoon.  I added more to his preschool time just to use some of the items I had.  It still doesn't take us long and he enjoys the variety!  He does pretty well staying busy in the afternoon and he always joins in story time because the kids get Thinking Putty!!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like your children are really enjoying themselves. Way to go with your son and his progress reading.

    ReplyDelete