Thursday, January 12, 2012

January School

We started back at school on January 2nd but it was a rough start.  I had a nasty cough and it hurt to talk for long periods, which I seem to do during school {lots of reading!}.  The boys all had coughs, too, so we were a fun bunch.  It wasn't the full start I had anticipated but we made do!

This week has felt more normal.  We are back full steam and it's been great.  No cabin fever because it had been really nice out.  The kids spent the last nice afternoon outside and then got out briefly today because it was our 1st snow of the season {finally!!!}.

Some highlights of the week:

  • Samuel has been doing wonderfully at his work.  He loves to practice handwriting so I'm printing off more formal handwriting sheets instead of just the "pre-writing" he had been doing.  He did a shape worksheet this week and I was literally amazed at how well he did with shapes.  I couldn't get all proud of my teaching, though, because he told me he learned it on Nick, Jr.  Ha!!!  Well, I do enjoy that channel.  
  • We started The Railway Children last week and it was slow going at first but now it's getting really interesting.  I love reading through different genres--this is our mystery selection!
  • Lily flew through her math this week with hardly any instruction from me.  Hunter started a new math after break and it's been awesome.  He felt it was "easy" but it's getting harder and I think he's learning a lot more.  It's CLE for anyone that is interested.
  • We are also back on track with spelling.  Lily started Level 2 and Hunter is reviewing Level 1 before he begins Level 2.  I still really like All About Spelling!!
  • Mad Libs are a big hit!!  The curriculum I use had assigned a story to be read and then pick out the verbs, adjectives, etc. but I picked up a fairy tale Mad Libs at the store and the kids enjoy this much more.  They laugh and laugh and we review the meaning of those terms.  Love it!
  • Brian was off one day last week to help with appointments and the kids all begged to have him be a substitute teacher.  They said he was the best teacher.  Ha!  I handed over preschool and spelling to him.  I think they all enjoyed it.
Hunter and Lily *love* art!  Here's their sparkler candles. 

The boys love to do their work together!  Hunter had been working on a color by number but decided he must cut it out and put it on a blue background.  This is Samuel's shape worksheet {O was for owls and octopus this week}. 

Lily spelling with the tiles.  She loves to use these but Hunter really doesn't, which is funny because I thought Hunter would love it.  :)  And isn't her outfit too adorable???

Look how patiently and quietly Hunter is waiting for his turn to do math/spelling.  I can't teach those things to both kids at once.  In all honesty, Hunter was told to sit at the bookshelf for being too noisy during Lily's school time and Nathan's nap.  :) 

Ignore the dirty kitchen!!  The kids were so excited to see all that snow and were excited to get out.  The wind chill was below 0 so it didn't last long (mainly because my Dad insisted I bring them back in before their 30 minutes was up!).  

 Lily and Hunter both threw themselves down for snow angels right away!


Samuel looks unsure at this point! 

Snowball fight!  The kids were pretty red when they came in.  We cuddled under blankets and watched Nick, Jr. while the snow continued on!

And since Nathan didn't make it into any pictures...I took a video of the kids doing Just Dance for Kids.  Nathan kept smiling at me like I was taking a picture so I snipped this frame out.  The video is a kick--I'll have to get it on here sometime.

1 comment:

  1. I love to see your boys without their shirts, at least I know I'm not the only one whose son does this. It makes me cold, but he doesn't mind so I let him do it.

    ReplyDelete