Friday, January 20, 2012

A Busy Week!

I don't have too many weeks where I feel like we run a lot during the day.  I've heard people say that the biggest problem with homeschooling is being home but that's certainly not my problem!  I have a low tolerance for busy. This week, however, we had a playdate on Monday morning, dental appointments on Tuesday morning (8am!) and speech therapy on Wednesday morning.  That daytime stuff added to the regular weekly events of BSF, cheerleading, coffee with a friend and Scouts...I was at my limit.  So I actually skipped Moms night through the homeschool group--gasp!  I always love it but I was tired and it was cold and the house was farther away than I wanted to go.  Thankfully, it's the weekend now and we can have some home time!!

Anyway, we did get school done with all this activity!  Samuel has been having 1 day where he does work all by himself in the afternoon. This is something he would not have been able to do at the beginning of the school year. I see a lot of growth in him all of a sudden.  He did a great job today matching capital letters with their lowercase partner.  I'm excited as I look to next year's kindergarten plans!!  This week we did P for Police, Peter Pan, Penguins and Pirates.  Quite the list, I know.  It's kind of fun to pick and choose from different themes--all free online!!

The twins are moving right along with their studies...nothing out of the ordinary.  They are working on writing a sequencing book for Language Arts, though.  They also do a weekly journal called 'Write About Me' and worked on writing a story with a beginning, middle and end this week.  Hunter's included ninjas and Lily's included fairies.  :)  We are really enjoying The Railway Children, maybe me the most?!  I love it!  Hunter started a new book recently called Christian Liberty Nature Reader and it's a lot of fun.  We're learning a lot about wasps and spiders right now.  Lily is finishing a children's version of an autobiography on Amelia Earhart.  That's about all I can think of for our happenings at school!

Nathan has kept busy.  He still expects to have the same work as Samuel...or else!  :)  Although, he is into cars and blocks so that is a good distraction on some days!

Nathan and Samuel finger painting. 

Lily and Hunter doing a color by number {those are good for Hunter's eyes!}. 

Samuel's P is for Pirate hat.  This was the 4th picture attempt and the best one I got.  He was feeling silly. 

These are some signs the twins made me for a surprise.  Lily's says "I love teachers that start with R for Rikki" and Hunter's says "I love Mom".  So sweet.  This reminds me that the other week, the 3 kids (sorry Nathan!) put on a play for Brian and I and gifted us with homemade art because they love us and appreciate us.  What?!  :)

Some of the artwork proudly displayed. 

More fun artwork.  The bottom one is hard to see but it was a fun P is for Police activity.  Samuel added the right number of fingerprints that each box asked for.

 New organization!  My teacher books have been driving me nuts because they get so messy throughout the month day so I found these magazine files in the $1 bins at Target and put my subjects into them.  How cute is that?  And so organized!

Today (Friday), we did all of our work in the morning for a change so we could have half a snow day.  That made for kind of a crazy day but I pulled out this game I got at the teacher's store (going out of business sale) and it was fun.  Easy for the twins, good for Samuel and something to keep them busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment