Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Reflection

I really meant to use this blog as a place to "reflect" and not just update the family on pictures but life is busy!! I talk and email and journal so much that I can't think of what else I might possibly have to share here. :) But I do want to blog about what Brian and I are in the midst of deciding...should we homeschool? Honestly, it's not so much a matter of "should" as waiting to see if all the pieces fall into place. It's only October so we have plenty of time to change our minds.

Homeschool is something I've been interested in for awhile. Maybe because I have so many friends that do it. But I'm always reading blogs and had long ago read Lisa Whelchel's book about homeschooling. Brian was not really for it until recently. He then wondered why we were prolonging the inevitable. Right now, the twins go to a private school but that's just not going to be possible as our other kids get to school age. And we also cringe paying all that $ when we know it could be used in so many other places...like our 90 year old house?!

Our public school is just not an option for me. I know Brian would probably be okay with it because he still sees it as the school he went to but I try to remind him that he's middle-aged now and things have changed. And, really, it just seems like there are actually options now. I want my kids to have a Christian education, not one dictated by the world's standards. I also want to be able to help my children in their areas of weakness without sending them to school all day and then working all night on those areas.

I also just like having my kids home. I know that's shocking. I was explaining to my friend, Karen, that I really don't like sending them off to school. She understood but I know it seems strange to others. The thought of strengthening family relationships is a huge bonus. Not that I want to be idealistic about this...I know I already have days that I want to pull my hair out and those won't disappear. But, they are my kids and they've all been little miracles in their story and I can't fathom why I wouldn't want to educate them at home.

I checked 9 books out from the library on homeschooling. I have been reading more and more blogs about homeschooling. I have emailed and gotten together with friends to talk about homeschooling. Jeanie, Natasha, Nichole, Gwen and Kim H have all stepped up and offered their wisdom. I'm far from alone, which feels good. I already know that "socialization" will be the big topic with everyone. I am already annoyed by the word from reading books. It is a serious undertaking and so we are definitely praying about it and learning all that we can. I am trying to hold it loosely so that if we decide to go back to private school next year, that will be okay with me.

Most important for us is that we seek what God would want us to do and then that we are unified in that decision. I got great advice from 1 friend that told me people are opinionated but this is mine and Brian's family and we have to do what we think is best. So, we'll see. It's only October...

No comments:

Post a Comment