Friday, September 21, 2012

Time flies!

This week flew by!  We had plenty of home-time this week and accomplished a lot--A LOT--of school to make up for last week's busy week.  We had full days!  On Monday, we wrapped up our Picasso unit for art and I gave the kids a puzzle to put together of one of his paintings.  I don't know how much they liked it but I loved this--it was hilarious.  We started Van Gogh today but his story was a bit of a downer.  

 Samuel is looking thrilled.  He's been so/so about doing school.  He still loves that sticker chart, which surprises me.  Otherwise, he doesn't care for coloring, cutting, gluing or writing.  Ha!  We get through it--mostly with positive attitudes.  I did order a new handwriting thing this week (Handwriting Without Tears) because he is easily frustrated when he "can't" write a letter/number.  I have flashbacks of helping the twins with their handwriting homework in kindergarten (they were at a school then).  It was painful--in fact, it's one reason we wondered how homeschooling would work out.  For some reason, homeschooling is tons better than helping with homework.  I don't know why.  Anyway, I'm afraid of handwriting so I ordered this curriculum to help us out.
His reading curriculum has him figuring out syllables, which I think is kind of strange.  We're going through it but I'm struggling to find the point.  We're flying through this pre-level 1, though, so we'll be ready to get into learning to read in plenty of time {I hope}.

We were in India this week for geography.  A definite highlight is the animal wall each week.  We pretend we're sightseeing and see what animals we find.  They love it.

For Bible this week, we made brownies.  It was in the curriculum!!  It was fun--I actually never tried one (yay me!) but it was an intense process.  The point was that brownies can't make themselves and neither did the Earth.  

Look who was happy to join school on brownie day!!  I do think one of his greatest joys is being allowed to dump ingredients in the mixer.  He loves helping!

Back to India...we finished up our week with jeweled clay.  Admittedly, I only had colored clay so it wasn't really accurate but it was fun.  



Oh yes, we did plenty this week and even got some outside time in now that the weather is my kind of weather (fall is here!).  I'm off to plan next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment