Monday, August 13, 2012

School Room

Not Back to School Blog Hop

Another blog hop post...I love this one because I love organization and I can look at other people's school rooms forever!!! I feel like our school room has stayed pretty similar to last year's but I did add more storage!  I don't know if it will stay in this arrangement forever but it's working right now!  Most of this room has been furnished by IKEA, fyi.  :)

Kids still sitting here and, yes, there's only 2 chairs.  We'll be doing a lot of things together so we'll see how it goes.  I'm not worried.  All 3 school kids have a nameplate taped down (all free, thanks to my teacher-sister and a giveaway hosted by a local Christian school).  You can see stickers have been added to their cabinets.  There's 2 kids to a cabinet but so far, so good.

White board is super useful and we love it.  The cups for holding school supplies are also super useful and I love having cute storage for necessary things.

I added a small bookshelf to the big one we had already.  It's FULL.  The cabinets hide my "teacher stuff".  

This cabinet has a lot of educational toys/games/manipulatives and art/craft supplies.  It's full!  Up on top is an old fruit box full of more craft items and a jar of gumballs.  :)  The side of the cabinet has the start of our pirate word wall that Samuel and I will be using this year.

We are all ready for our geography!  This map came in the Little Passports' starter package.  The books on the lower 2 shelves are all relevant to our geography introduction.  The highest shelf has books from my childhood that I loved but are falling apart so I keep them up!  The wall has labels for the animals we'll discover in the different countries we'll explore.

Our calendar area.  I have 2 trofast shelves now and these are super fun.  The green one has calendar supplies, coloring book, paper, etc.  The red one mainly has fun, learning items...geoboards, lacing buttons, piggy bank, nesting blocks, etc.  These items are going to help a ton (I hope) in keeping Nathan busy.  Our calendar time this year will consist of the pledge of allegiance, the date, weather, safety info (address/phone, which I've yellowed out in the picture), vocabulary word of the week (from a fun book I purchased at our homeschool conference) and a math review (right now it's shapes because I thought I'd start off easy but there's also counting to 100, skip counting, etc. on the packet).  

Samuel's alphabet posters for All About Reading are in the hall.

Also in the hall is my favorite frame with a fun picture just for decorative purposes.  The file folders hold workbooks that the kids can work on independently.  The subjects are visual discrimination, counting, listening skills, etc.  No major schedule or plan with these.

Our living room holds a shelf with a couple fun items that, again, I hope keep Nathan entertained (the learning room is an extension of the living room so he'll be close by).  Wedgits in the basket and city blocks in the bucket with a wooden Noah's ark on the floor.  I'm trying to have plenty to keep him occupied so I can give everyone the time they need!

That's our school room for this year or month or whatever.  I change things around a lot as I use items because I need it to be easy and organized.  :)

5 comments:

  1. It looks great. I bet you all will have a wonderful year.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another post showing great Ikea furniture. Some day, some day. I'm jealous of people that actually have an Ikea within 150 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 11 year old daughter said,"Mom I need that chair!"(the pink one in the 1st pic)So we got it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete