Friday, May 11, 2012

Done!

Our last week of {regular} school!  And it flew by!  The weather has been unbelievably good so we spent a lot of time outside...
Taking walks around the neighborhood

 and at the walking trail.

Lily planned a play performance at my parents' house so we gathered for that on Monday night.  My Mom was narrator, my Dad was the Cat in the Hat, Lainey was Sally and Mom, Lily was the fish (and whatever the boy's name is because Hunter dropped out).  I can't remember when I've laughed so hard but that was mainly because of my parents.  :)

The boys were a good audience.

Samuel made me this pretty flower during his speech appointment this week.  Lily made me a present at book club but she is making me wait to open it.  Mother's Day is so fun!

Our focus was goodness this week, symbolized by the apple.  We had a good and fun talk about good works and how important and unimportant they are.  We want to show our light but we don't want to think we can "earn" anything with God.  It led to some great conversation with the kids.  At the end of the week, we made apple light catchers: (that's Hunter's, Lily's, Samuel's and Nathan's from left to right)

On Friday, I woke up so early, just like on the 1st day of school!  I had a chance to think about a whole school year of learning and fun and challenges.  I gave the kids their last morning assignment and then we celebrated by going on a field trip with one of their favorite teacher's aides, Grandma PJ.  :)  We went to Usher's Ferry (with some quick stops at garage sales) to walk the grounds.  The building aren't open during the week but I figured that would work best, anyway.  No one was there and we got the running tour of the park.  Because my kids run!  They did show some interest as we peeked in windows and explored the grounds.  The village is a little ahead of what we studied (close to 1900) because we ended in 1862 but I figured it was close enough!

Hunter trying his hand at pumping water.

Grandma helping Nathan peek in the doctor's house.  He wanted to see what the fuss was about!

Checking out an outdoor kitchen (no door so we went in).  Samuel noticed the paint can right away, not circa 1900.  :)

An outhouse picture.

Visiting the gazebo.  It would be a great place for a picnic--we wished we had food/drink!

Afterward, we grabbed subs and had lunch with my parents before heading home (plus few garage sale stops) for the final afternoon of school.  All we did this afternoon was sit in a circle, have a popsicle and talk.    We talked about what we learned and what the summer plan is going to be.  Our focus next week will be preparing for our homeschool lunch/evening for the Grandparents.  :)

*I have to share their precious journal entries from today:*

Hunter: "1+2=3  4-4=0 Math.  I love my Mom.  Thank you Mom for teaching me."
Lily: "I like being in school because I love my family so much." She then drew a picture of her, me and Hunter.

No comments:

Post a Comment