Sunday, February 24, 2013

Gathered Together

Another week of school done!  I feel like we're nearing the end but that's probably because my focus is turning to the next school year.  :)  We ditched our long desk and got a small table with 4 chairs for school.  I didn't intend to have all 3 kids gathered there for morning work but they really wanted to sit together.  I just love this arrangement much better--seems more home-like and I do like that we can gather together easier.
You can see Lily and Hunter are thinking hard.  :)

Samuel did some fishing in math this week--we are working on subtracting.  He enjoyed this a lot--he likes to be active.  Actually, I like these activities better, as well.  When I sit with him with pencil/paper, it takes a year and a half to go through the problems on a page.  Ha!  Every picture has a story so he has to tell me it and draw on to the picture and etc.  It's very funny and sweet and I don't mind it--but it does lengthen the lesson.  Here's an example of a remark that I jotted down this week because it cracked me up: 
Me: Circle the pictures that start with 'f'.
Samuel: Mom, can I circle the pig?? Because I like pigs--they're squishy."
Ha!  It's an adventure but I'm glad he's free to have some ants-in-the-pants and use his imagination during his school day.

Our Geography curriculum had us in Peru this week but there wasn't enough to do for 5 days so we took a day out to do a continent puzzle (South America, of course).  This was a huge hit!!  We'll have to do the rest of the continents.

For science, we are entering the space portion of our book.  We learned a bit about stars and then made star jars--glow-in-the-dark paint inside a glass jar.  All 4 kids enjoyed this!  It may not have taught them anything about stars but I'm okay with that.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment